Fove HMD Collaboration Project
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

How shall eye tracking be used

5 posters

Go down

How shall eye tracking be used Empty How shall eye tracking be used

Post by Admin Fri Jul 10, 2015 8:28 am

The thing that sets Fove apart from other HMDs is the eye tracking capability. How shall we utilise this?

Are we looking to just use it to drive the foveated rendering or do we want to also use it as an input device?

Given the level of fine control the eye tracking should give us, I think it would be a shame to not use it for input. For example it could be used for intricate tasks such as solving a puzzle or picking a lock!

Ideas?

Admin
Admin

https://fove-project.forumotion.co.uk

Back to top Go down

How shall eye tracking be used Empty Re: How shall eye tracking be used

Post by _MttC Fri Jul 10, 2015 11:25 am

Yeah, I agree with you. I think using it as input is more important. I like the idea of puzzle solving, and we can use it for character interactions.

_MttC

Back to top Go down

Post by Maz Sat Jul 11, 2015 5:37 am

Yes it can be used for super delicate input but I believe it is more powerful for intuitive and fast input. You don't have to teach people how to look at things, they do that already. With a little work, you can start to build and design interfaces that work like real life. Buttons that are actually part of your space-ship and then a single controller button allocated to "interact" with the look target.

And fast because with this tech it means we can re-target in mid-air. imagine being able to use Attack on Titan-style omni-gear and actually re-target fast enough in mid-air to fly through a city. Trying to do this with traditional input (mouse and joystick) is inaccurate, uncomfortable, impossible, or totally faked by the game to try make it seem like it works.

How about better character interactions (allowing NPC's to react to your character more completely). The can notice when you're looking at them and react, or maybe they'll apologise for being in your way and move slightly, or maybe catching an NPC's eye after an embarrassing moment will make them blush, etc.

I'll have more suggestions to follow in the other thread.

Maz

Back to top Go down

Post by standtall007 Sat Jul 11, 2015 1:09 pm

Yes i agree with you too, Input eye tracking is the way for me.

standtall007

http://www.taorh.dk

Back to top Go down

Post by aberrantwolf Sat Jul 11, 2015 3:36 pm

I've always been irritated by games like Skyrim where characters yell at me like I'm looking at them when I'm definitely NOT looking at them. Some games address this by not having guys talk at you until they're on screen, but I'm still not necessarily actually looking at them.

I figure you could use a fairly simple algorithm to determine if they think you're looking at them and have it feel pretty realistic.

Also, I like the idea of using eye gaze as a quick interaction mechanism.

aberrantwolf

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum